Sunday, January 30, 2011

Shooting an Ma Deuce at Cherry Creek Shooting Range, Colorado



I tried trap-shooting at Cherry Creek finally, but the cold weather and my tempestuous moods did not make the experience a positive one. You should have seen the look on my father’s face when I told him I didn’t hit a one. I was disappointed in myself, too, but I was cheered by the cool machine guns being featured at the range.


An enthusiast called Larry is bringing around his Browning M1919 and Brown M2 machine guns on Fridays and Sundays to let the hoi polloi act out violent paramilitary fantasies on water jugs. The gun I’m crouched behind is a Browning M1919 and the brute to my left is a Browning M2. Larry says that the prices on these respective monsters are $2500 and $12,000 (!); the bullets for the M2 are about five bucks apiece. Larry was generously offering the opportunity to shoot the M2 for seven bucks a pop or twenty for three, and the M1919 for two bucks a shot, or thirty-five for twenty. They’re mounted on tripods and sighted already, so there’s not a lot to it, but still.


No comments:

Post a Comment