Sunday, December 19, 2010

North Table Mountain & Castlewood Canyon, Colorado

Another multi-trip weekend. Glenn and I hiked to the summit of North Table Mountain on Sunday; we watched the rock climbers on the way up, which made Glenn sad and me itchy to try it myself. I’m really not a very good climber, but on the ground, I’m an expert. On top of the plateau, we cut through a field to reach the moderately large pile of rocks that is the summit (highest point in this picture).


I scared a bunch of deer as I leapt up the summit/rockpile; you can see one by my left ear.
On Monday we hiked Castlewood Canyon, a virtual playground of large rocks to jump on top of, which I could and did spend hours doing.



After we’d passed the cliffs, we both made a huge route-finding oversight and failed to see the footbridge where the path turned, so we walked along the river for a while longer. No matter - honestly, I don’t even consider it hiking anymore unless I get lost and waste a lot of time trying to relocate the trail. The day ended in another night-hike, as we had to do the final couple of miles with our headlamps on.

I finally got to try “stemming.” Glenn taught me this word for what I’d previously referred to as “spider-climbing,” after the Ninja Warrior obstacle, for when you climb up a crevice by pushing your legs out against both sides for leverage. I definitely want to go back and spend some more time climbing around, but I felt bad for Glenn having to wait around while I goofed off.

Since most of my hiking experience has occurred above treeline, coming down to 5000-7000 miles above sea level is like being a Kryptonian on Earth. I can run around for hours without breaking a sweat, I can walk for miles without getting winded, I get x-ray vision, etc. It’s awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment